Thursday, April 22, 2010

Multimedia Project Update

UGH. So far, not so good. For our final project in communications, my class is putting together the Commencement Edition of The Hawk. Our theme is "first jobs," and I'm on the reporting/writing end of things. Each member of my group is writing a profile of a senior and a longer feature-y story as well. This has been a lot harder than I expected. I know quite a few seniors here at SJU and didn't think I'd have a problem with networking to find sources. Luckily, I have found someone to profile, and I'm interviewing her next week. However, my feature story, about seniors who are moving back home after graduation for either jobs or to save money, has netted me a big zero. After I sent out an email to over 20 seniors, asking either for their input or for names of those who would like to be briefly interviewed, I'm 0 for 20. No one will talk to me. I guess I didn't realize how moving back home was a sore spot for seniors. I think our theme, "first jobs," is a sore spot in general, especially for Arts and Sciences majors. Jobs seem to be rarer than unicorns these days, and if the lack of one is forcing someone to move back home, they're not going to admit it aloud, let alone go "on the record" about it and have it published both in print and online for all of posterity.

I can't say I blame them.

I feel like I either need to totally revamp my approach or totally change the topic. I'm going to converse with my group tonight and see what a next plan of action could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment