Thursday, March 25, 2010

Not Just Another Casualty

You've heard a million stories about the war in Iraq. So many stories, in fact, that most blend together and begin to sound like white noise.

Not this one. Not this one.

Father Tim Vakoc is the first--and only--military chaplain gravely wounded in the Iraq War. When he returned home, his condition was so grave, no one expected him to live. And yet, he defied the odds. This photo slideshow with captions and voice-overs literally gave me goosebumps. There was something about the voices and the low singing placed over these profound pictures...it was a combination that told the story in a unique and moving way.

The part the got me the most was when Father Tim spoke his first words after two years of silence. I had to pause the slideshow and take a deep breath. There was something so powerful about it, the sound of it over the picture of it. The whole thing hit me right in the chest. It was better than watching a video or reading about it in an article. Hearing it made me feel like I was there. Amazing, just amazing. What a way to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment